KUALA LUMPUR: There has been no mass exodus of Malaysians leaving Singapore, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Dato' Sri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
In addressing some concerns regarding the matter, he said the last four days had seen an average of 400 people entering Johor from Singapore daily.
“A lot of people are worried about Malaysians returning from Singapore (in light of Covid-19). The Immigration Department reported that mass exodus has yet to happen. On April 16, there were 648 people (who have entered Johor from Singapore), 256 people on April 17, 245 people on April 18, 604 on April 19 and 297 on April 20.
“We can still handle the number of people entering Johor with 22 quarantine centres in Johor Baru and its vicinity as well as some hotels with a total of 6,000 rooms.
“Some of those who were placed under mandatory quarantine prior to this have already been allowed to leave, with about 350 people returning home daily,” he told a Press conference today.
Nevertheless, he said the government was taking steps to increase the number of rooms used for quarantine.
He said the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) had been instructed to add 4,000 more rooms in Johor Baru and nearby districts, bringing the total to 10,000.